Saturday 8 March 2014

The Story Behind... Bébé Fraise

Here is the Story Behind a new photo posted on my 500px portfolio, and titled "Bebe Fraise" (you can see it here: http://500px.com/photo/63144143)

Bébé Fraise (c) Gilles Royer 2014 - Nikon D200 / AF-S VR Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 with Hoya +4 filter

I took this photo today, in the garden. We have a little pot with a strawberry plant, and I've tried a few times to get a nice shot of the little flowers. First, I tried with my macro lens, but couldn't quite get the centre sharp enough - a bit hard too with the wind slightly blowing!

I decided today to try the Nikkor 70-200mm instead, with a screwed on Hoya close-up filter (+4), and I am happier with the result. The centre could have a bit more sharpness, but for a hand-held shot, with a slight breeze, I quite like the end result. 

Re aperture, I set it at f/7.1, which gives me enough focus for the overall flower, yet blurs the background nicely.

I shot this image in RAW format (as I mostly do for my macro shots), then processed in Aperture - added a bit of contrast and saturation, to enhance the definition in the yellow pistils.

You can already see in the centre what will become the 'seeds' on the mature fruit. Those are called achene, and are actually the ovaries of the flower, with a seed inside it!

As for the title, Bébé Fraise, I'm sure you've guessed by now it means Strawberry Baby

Thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment